The ability to make your players dive was introduced in PES2008 on the next gen consoles, generating much debate among fans and critics alike. The feature however was not included in the PS2 version of the game.
- A dive is performed by pressing a combination of three shoulder buttons (L1 + L2 + R1 for PS3 and LB + LT + RB for XBOX 360)
- Unless perfectly timed, dives usually result in a free-kick being awarded against the player, and a booking given for simulation.
- No statistics have an effect on the success of dives; luck and timing are key.
- It is sometimes easier to make a dive when the opposition is either pulling your shirt or has made an attempt to challenge for the ball but has missed leaving you to run past, therefore leaving a split second to dive.
- Many gamers and football fans felt that by introducing diving to the PES series, Konami were condoning cheating, both in the game and in real life.
- Some players exploit the ability to dive in the game's online mode, using it to win a succession of free-kicks or penalites.